Saturday, August 23, 2014

Time Waits for No One

August has flown by in a blur.  If time ever really stands still, I'd appreciate it happening now, for just a little while as I catch my breath.  I'm not ready to let go of the precious summer daylight hours.  I refuse to shut all the windows no matter how hard the rains or cool the nights.  I savor each flower blossom and welcome each hummingbird to the feeder, as though it's their last visit before they depart for warmer places.

With children all grown and no backpacks to mend, September has become a mellow extension of August.  The lake activity subsides and the calls of the ospreys and loons take center stage.  When the roadside flowers are dominated by the yellows and purples, I know there's no turning back.  There's no more putting off a kayak trip for another day...no more missing my coffee break on the sun porch because I'm caught up in some project...no more procrastinating about driving to visit friends and relatives.  Travel while it's still safe and easy.
For now, the heat of the late summer sun still lulls me into complacency.  Soon enough I'll be scouring the attic for bags of my sensible shoes and clothing that I like to categorize as my" form follows function wear".
Until then, I'll wear my summer clothes but keep my hoodie nearby at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment